The Legal Affairs Directorate is headed by a General Counsel/ Corporate Secretary, who is the Chief Legal Officer of the Authority.
Compliance is at the core of the General Counsel’s job and this entails responsibility for adherence to the legal and ethical rules binding upon the organisation. The General Counsel is supported by a Legal Officer and a Research Assistant/ Para Legal. Administrative support is provided by a Personal Assistant/ Confidential Secretary and a Clerical Assistant.
The primary functional areas of the Legal Affairs Directorate relate to –
- The development of law and regulations
- ICAO SARPs management
- Coordination with ICAO and other international agencies
- International agreements including Air Services Agreements (ASAs)
- Corporate support and strategic planning
- Legal advice and representation and the marshaling of enforcement action
The Legal Affairs Directorate is also the Corporate Secretariat for the Board of the Authority